I am Kathy Hart Wood, a life-time golfer, a long-time golf professional, a life coach and full-time mother of three college-aged daughters.
What I do for a living?
I brighten people’s lives personally, socially and professionally through the game of golf.
To help people to enjoy the game of golf, get out of their own way, and play to their potential.
Why would I want to do that?
Because…golf is an amazing game but can also be a source of great misery for people. We make it too complicated, we beat ourselves, and we create a love/hate relationship with the game. I know I did for decades and I want to share my insights and tools with as many golfers as I can.
What makes me qualified?
Well…I grew up a golf pro’s daughter which means I started playing the game at a very young age.
- I started to compete nationally at the age of 12
- Played college golf at Furman University.
- Played professionally all over the world; Europe, Australia, South Africa, Korea and of course here in the States. (Grinding out 4-foot putts to pay for gas to travel to the next tourney got tiring after 6 years, so I switched gears and started teaching).
- I got my feet wet instructing in the Nicklaus/Flick Golf Schools under the tutelage of some of the most amazing teachers in the game.
- I became the lead instructor for the Golf For Women Magazine Golf Schools. At the same time, my husband and I opened 3 Golf Academies in South Florida and I gave birth to 3 girls in 3 years. I know…what was I thinking?
- Director of Women’s Golf at Hamilton Farm Golf Club in New Jersey and Cornerstone Golf Club in Montrose, Colorado.
- Currently, I teach at Fiddler’s Elbow Country Club in New Jersey.
- I am a certified Life Coach combining both skill sets to create unique value to the competitive and weekend golfer.
A little more..
- LPGA Top 50 Teacher 2019-2020
- Golf Digest Best in State 2019-2020
- LPGA Top 50 Teacher presented by Women’s Golf Journal 2017
- Golf Digest’s Top 50 Best Women Teachers in America
- Voted Top Favorite Teaching Pro in NJ by Golf Styles New Jersey
- Top 50 Teachers in the Country by Edwin Watts
- Golf for Women Magazine Top 50 Teacher
- Featured on the cover of Women & Golf Magazine, Golf for Women Magazine, Colorado Avid Golfer, New Jersey Golf Magazine and Player Magazine.
- Contributing Editor for Golf for Women Magazine and published numerous instructional articles for various magazines.
- LPGA Class A Member
What makes me tick?
- My girls…an obvious first but they really are amazing!
- Unbelievable friends, I am so blessed and grateful.
- A full moon near the horizon so it looks ginormous. So cool.
- Hugs or texts…(hugs are better) from my students because they played their best round of golf ever!
- Laughter…hearing, doing, producing.
- Logistics…I love streamlining operations…like teaching folks to hit that ball and play golf in the shortest amount of steps possible…good stuff.
- Nature…I way prefer to be outdoors than indoors.
- Animals in nature…I obsess over random encounters; the alligator by the side of the green, the elk on the mountain top at dusk, the blue heron that flies by me on the 8th hole at FECC. But…not so much the herd of deer that live on my yard and eat my hostas.
Fun and Weird Facts…
- My favorite golf course is Pebble Beach, mostly for the scenery and the seals.
- I completed three triathlons. Checked that off the list. Random encounters with jellyfish not good.
- My Dad is a golf pro, my brother is a golf pro and my husband is a golf pro. We have some intense family matches and boring dinner conversations.
- I love weather and secretly wanted to be a meteorologist when I was a kid.
- My daughters’ all have “boyish” names: Charlee, Sam, and Riley. When you start with Charlee, you just can’t flip to Jessica or Sally…you can’t.
- I lived in Tokyo for 8 months after I got married and retained two sentences of Japanese.
- At my house, we have one cat, two fish, three hermit crabs, and a English Springer Spaniel.
- I grew up in Buffalo, New York, weird only because I am a golf pro. I am a closet Bills fan and a wings snob. I love that place.
- Bullet points, I love them they make everything simple and concise.
Where can I learn more?
Email me at Kathy@KathyHartWood.com
As seen in: